Case Study

FinTech

H&R Block Logo

Feature: ID Verification

Case summary

User problem

The user must verify their identity in order to access additional tax returns and resources. The two methods of ID proofing are KBA (security questions) and ID Scan which utilizes 3rd party software. We need to provide an introduction to the security check feature, a flow that gives them the choice of selecting between ID Scan and KBA, and a flow for the ID Scan. We need to take into consideration the high cost associated with the ID Scan feature ($1 per scan vs $0.10 per KBA check) and drive users toward trying KBA first.

Product vision

Make DIY taxes easier, faster, and more accessible

Goal

To design an interface that allows the user to easily verify their identity by either answering a series of security questions or utilizing ID capture technology

Process highlights

My role

UX writer

My team

UX designer: Sean
Product manager: Nate

Project plan

  • Discovery & exploration: one week
  • Ideation, writing & prototyping: two weeks
  • Design review: one day

Discovery & Exploration

I worked with Sean to identify the flow based on the scope. Once we got some input from Nate about the impact of the cost differential, it shifted our plan a bit toward aiming to save the company upwards of $2 million without compromising user experience.

Once we got the flow down, Sean laid out the screens, and I started work on the copy.

This was one of my first projects at H&R Block, and I was still exploring how to work best within the environment.

Ideation, Writing, & Prototyping

Launch feature

I worked up some variations for the copy associated with launching the ID Verification feature. At H&R Block, we heavily utilize Figma's collaboration tools so I was not shy about pulling Sean in to workshop some options.

Exploring copy for ID verification flow

Still working on establishing a good process for presenting copy options in Figma, it was challenging to get a handle on working in this collaborative, design-focused environment. Keeping tabs on which version of the copy was the approved one and making sure that is the version that got translated to the final prototype was difficult since things kept getting moved around.

Validation

The feature changes tested well with users. The majority found the new version easier to understand and more likely to want to engage with the content and utilize the offering.